Gifted and Talented Program
To the extent possible, with available resources, all gifted and talented students will have the opportunity to participate in appropriate educational programs. Gifted and talented students are students of outstanding abilities, who are capable of high performance and who require differentiated educational programs beyond those normally offered in public schools, to fully achieve their potential.
The Board authorizes the Superintendent to provide a gifted and talented program which may include:
- Expansion of academic attainments and intellectual skills;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence, and responsibility;
- Development of positive attitudes toward self and others; and
- Development of originality and creativity.
The Superintendent will establish procedures consistent with state guidelines for nominating, assessing, and selecting children of demonstrated achievement, or potential ability in terms of general intellectual ability and academic aptitude.
Screening and Identification System
The Hellgate Elementary Advisory Committee updates the identification process as needed. Currently, the Committee is using the following methods to determine eligibility:
- Achievement tests - grade level screenings are done in 3rd grade and 5th grade
- Multiple scores of 95% or higher in either of the two Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) categories, Reading and/or Mathematics
- Teacher Referral
- Formal observation from the classroom, assessments, and day-to-day work
Hellgate Elementary’s Multi-Tiered Systems of Support used with High Ability/High Potential Learners
ALL of the students identified as high ability/high potential receive services through regular classroom differentiation. Differentiation may include:
SOME of the students identified as high ability/high potential receive special services/group programs beyond the regular classroom. These programs may include:
FEW of the students identified as high ability/high potential will receive services provided on an individual basis. These services may include:
Adapted from the Montana Office of Public Instruction’s Gifted and Talented Program 2019 Planning Guide
Updated 10/2022 by Hellgate Elementary Gifted and Talented Committee